Why Should I Donate my Car to Charity?
This is a great question:
Why should I donate my car to charity instead of say, selling it?
There are a lot of really great reasons to donate your car to the National Kidney Foundation, both for those you are donating for, and for you!
Donating a Car to the National Kidney Foundation Really Does Help People in Need
Each car donated to the National Kidney Foundation is an enormous help to those in need. There are thousands of patients with kidney disease in Utah alone, some of which don’t have the financial freedom to take care of their expensive dialysis treatments and medical bills themselves. While other car donation charities utilize most of their funds for their own business ventures, The National Kidney Foundation is designed to ensure that as much of your donation as possible goes directly to those in need, from local patients to local medical facilities directing kidney disease research.
Proceeds from your car donation go directly to struggling kidney patients in Utah. It helps them get a kidney transplant, or transport them to their dialysis treatments. Without your car donation, thousands of struggling kidney patients wouldn’t be able to receive their treatment. That’s the difference. Donating a car to charity is great, but donating a car to the Kidney Foundation saves lives.
Be a life saver. Donate a car today.
Donating a Car to the National Kidney Foundation Also Benefits YOU
When you ask yourself “why donate a car?”, consider what’s currently wrong with your car. Just because you installed a new engine in it 30k miles ago, or maybe even bought a set of new tires last week, if the transmission is now broken or you have another major repair to put into it before it will run, whatever repairs you’ve already invested in no longer add value unless you invest even more. Instead, it may be more worth it to consider the other benefits that can come from donating.
Here are other questions to ask yourself when asking yourself “Why should I donate my car?”:
- Do the repair costs supersede the car’s total value?
- Do I want to go through the trouble of putting this vehicle up for sale, and be responsible to disclose everything that’s wrong with it?
- Is the car more than 13 years old, with over 180,000 miles on it?
- Is the car ‘still good’ and doesn’t have more than 150,000 miles on it, but needs a new engine/transmission or has collision damage?
- Is your car a classic model that still needs some love and a few thousand dollars to restore?
- Do you want to limp that barely-running car over to the dealership, only to have them turn it down as a trade-in? Or worse yet, feel insulted by the amount they’re willing to give you on trade?
- Would you rather have $200 cash in hand from a junk yard or a $499+ tax deduction; and peace of mind knowing you’ve given the car to a local, worthy cause that helps Utahns who can’t afford to pay for dialysis expenses, transportation costs, or out-of-pocket transplantation deductibles?
- Would I like to feel good about doing something good for someone else, or do I really need $200 cash in hand?
These are all decisions you face when asking if you should donate a car to charity, and there is no wrong answer. Your decision should depend on your own needs, or how you want to feel about your car’s retirement. However, there are a ton of good reasons for you to donate, but the choice is ultimately yours.
The good news is Charitable donations are rewarded with tax deductions. So even just wanting to ‘feel good’ about donating your car to charity, the car still has a financial reward in the way of receiving a tax deduction.
“Why should I donate a car to charity?” Flow Chart
Do I need $150-200 cash to make ends meet this month?
- No (flow chart to next option)
Or would I rather:
- Feel good about helping others in Utah who are need of medical financial assistance
- Get rid of this car in 24-48 hours?
- Get a tax deduction?